How to test
These tests can be conducted using any screen reader. If you’re on a Mac, we recommend using Voiceover. If you’re on a PC you can use NVDA or Narrator.
If you are new to screen readers, we have published additional guidance on screen reader testing.
There is a way to extend session timeouts without losing data
We recommend services follow the manage a session timeout pattern in the DWP Design System.
To check the manage a session timeout pattern
You’ll need to wait for the session timeout to pop-up, then check that:
- it is announced to a screen reader
- you can extend the session without losing any data
- the interaction to extend is simple, such as pressing a button
If you’re not using the manage a session timeout pattern
To pass WCAG 2.1 one of the following statements needs to be true:
- the session timeout is longer than 20 hours by default
- before the session times out, the user is given an opportunity to extend the session without losing any data, using a simple interaction
- there is a way to turn the session timeout off before the user encounters it
- there is a way to extend the session timeout to at least 10 times the default setting before the user encounters it